Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday with Obama and the NY Giants

It's Super Tuesday here in NYC. And we are still high off the Giants Superbowl win!

I got up extra early to go to my Brooklyn polling place before heading to my 9:05am class in Manhattan. There was a tall medium build brother who reminded me of Common standing outside the school with Obama material taped to his shirt, front and back. Before I left home I got the new video with Will.I.am and John Legend as well as a host of celebrities from acting to song.



When I was entering the subway at the Utica stop, an older brother was handing out little pamplets on Obama titled ANSWERING THE CALL: CALLED TO CHRIST, COMMITTED CHRISTIAN.
'If you're organizing churches,' they said, 'it might be helpful if you went to church once in a while." And I thought, "Well, I guess that makes sense....So one day I put on one of the few clean jackets I had and went over to Trinity United Church of Christ on 95th Street on the South Side of Chicago. And I heard Reverend JEremiah A. Wright deliver a sermon called 'The Audacity of Hope.' CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN.


I made up my mind to vote for Obama about 10 days ago. It was before the South Carolina primary. Before that I wasn't sure. Clinton or Obama?? Then I realized I have waited most of my adult life to support a candidate I truly believe in and a candidate that defies all the limitations I've grown up with about holding the highest office in this land. All the other black candidates paved the way for both Hilary and Barack to be viable candidates in the same race. I do remember Shirley Chisholm's bid in 1972. I was 10 years old. She paved the way for Jesse Jackson and others and yes Hilary Clinton, too.

Something is happening. There's a change of a different sort in the air. I heard Republicans from Jersey claim there were staunch partisans but if McCain won (another said if Romney won), he'd vote for Obama. I am excited about the possibility the real possibility of Dr. King's Dream becoming a reality in the office of the President of this country. Amazing!!

A black man and his wife are inspiring people from all walks to vote today. Whomever you vote for, VOTE! Exercise your national right and duty. Trust your heart and your conscience. To thine own SELF be true!

Go Giants! Go Obama!!

No comments: