Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chris Abani on Women in the World (Shared Humanity)

If you know me you know that I LOVE TED talks. TED stands for Technology Entertainment and Design. I use these talks in my teaching and they are from a unique conference of inspiring talks that are 20 mins or less.

Last year, my book The Games Black Girls Play (NYUP, 2006) was a finalist for the 2007 PEN/Beyond Margins Award for which Abani's novel, “Song for Night" was among the winners. Amiri Baraka was another winner.

This is a TED talk of Abani sharing stories, as he says that are about transformation and are not sentimental, of his mother and of women counting. He also shares of Nigerian men tortured in prison. Abani was a political prisoner. This video exemplifies Success with the Opposite Sex: Get Related not Dated (TM) for me. It is not cliché nor a generalization about men or women. It is the real lived experience of being woman, being man from this extraordinary story teller.




s

No comments: