Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Exploring Gender Cross-Culturally: Wrong Bathroom (GIE)

THE WRONG BATHROOM


Ever had someone question your actual sex because you don't look like you express the gender associated with it? Gender Identity Expression is a serious source of confusion, hate, and even murder. Gender cross-culturally does not require crossing national borders to understand. For our friends and family who are gay, lesbian, transgender or bi, they encounter other "borders" of culture.

Most of my posts are coming from the perspective of being a black woman, a heterosexual, and a professor interested in stretching my own and others frame of reference. I often don't think of gender identity expression when thinking about gender relations but this video reminded me that my gay, lesbian, transgender and bi friends have other distinctions of gender that I can overlook.

No comments: